View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 09:21 AM   #14
SZI
NAC MEMBER

Default Re: Why Asian Arowana is expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.ius
(Maaf kawan seandai saya salah terjemahkan indonesia kalian )

I think this is going to be an intersting topic , lagi saya minta maaf bila membalas melalui ingris.

Bro SZI, I think the matter of this competition entry was considered as a threat is basically a point a view from current aro breeder who are well established and have their own distribution agents well at hand, though i won't say that I am speaking on their behalf. Especially knowing that these new entry are the ones who tried to exclude themselves to acquiring a legal permit and paying the required fees for breeding an endagered species, whereas larger farms to be precise may have acquired these legal documentation knowing that they are distributing their aro internationally or to the fact that they were the pioneers who first started the industry. I agree within the free market beliefs, but every businessmen should keep in mind of their responsibilities to keep an ethically fair market.
To be perfectly honest, I too wish to purchase more aro with a more reachable price. And as an aro owner myself, I too love to see all my acquintances own their own aro so that we have could share many of our aro expriences as we are now in NAC. Thats probably from me as buyer's point of view, demanding for a better and cheaper bargain. So I think there are two sided coins here, which is something we probably see everyday between buyers and sellers.
Yep, bro Roythea, I deiffinitely agree with your example of "nyogok." I still curse that police officer until now for pulling me over and directly asking for duit under the accusation of not looking over the traffic sign where I am sure they cover it to catch some defenselless flies. Corruption should be banned and sinned.

Again I apologize if any of my opinion had offended anyone, maaf.

Mahalo
no apologies necessary.
personally i'm in no position to comment specifically about the permit or license fees as i have no idea how big a factor they are in total cost of breeding aro. all i can say is, if they are a significant cost factor then the authorities ought to be ashamed of themselves as they would be holding down an industry which potentially could be an even more promising one for average indonesians, and instead making it an exclusive one for rich folks with capital to burn. the koi farmers in Japan, most of them were "little people" who were previously rice farmers not rich people who had made their money elsewhere before pumping it into koi (with the exception of Momotaro, who is the only one i know of who was already rich before he went into koi). yes arowana may be (or had been, depending how you look at it) an endangered species but for me it's sad if that is used as a way by corrupt officials to milk money out of breeders.

having brushed that point, personally i'd still advocate home breeding of aros as a starting way for new breeders. though the legality may be questionable but perhaps if this continues it may force the authorities to rethink their rules and regulations and make it easier for breeders even small ones to obtain rights to breed. existing breeders who have paid their dues may feel hard done by but i'd imagine they'd have made a large enough profit by now to have covered whatever fees they'd paid (be they official fees or bribes), besides it's unavoidable for the greater good, if we are to allow people with smaller capital to start their aro business too.

if we don't wake up to this, and if the govt persist to make it costly for indos to produce aros, it's a matter of time before other countries overtake indonesia as exporter of arowana. i am a firm believer that it requires people with a passion for the aro to develop this industry forward, as opposed to people with no passion for the fish but in it solely for the profit. it is the passionate aro breeder who would seek ways to improve the quality of his fish, to invent methods and products to bring out the potential of a fish, such efforts are the ones that would develop the local aro industry and sustain it in the long run. i wish the govt would ask itself which type of aro breeder they are currently encouraging.

sorry to have gone on a long rant. i blame it on the morning coffee. too much caffein in me at the mo.
SZI is offline   Reply With Quote