View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 06:48 AM   #10
mr.ius
NAC 118

Default Re: Why Asian Arowana is expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andhara
I do believe someday SR's price will be going down...
That too is also within my concern bro..
Knowing that there are no limit or special regulations watching over the threat of new entry breeding farms in Indonesia, there is a higher chance that people can easily breed them in their own back yard and sell them without the hastle of undergoing a check permit from CITES. As the same to what bro Hendri said, there are now more supply than that of which the demand, this shows that our domestic market for the arowana will undergo a decrease in retail value (I am asuming this).
When I was in Indonesia and haven't join this forum, you wont believe that how many people used their houses to breed super reds aro. And they are willing to give a hard nut bargain for people purchasing their aro at a small quantity.
However since Indonesia have, and already followed the regulation given by CITES and shown within the KEPUTUSAN MENTERI KEHUTANAN Nomor : 26/Kpts-II/94 that all Arowana, specifically the super red and the jardini sold, must be born within a captive farm and acquire a permit from them, there is still no threat for a decrease in price for potential international market compared toward the Indonesian market. Since of course any Arowana that will be exported must be protected and sold under CITES permit and the Indonesian "Trade and Commercial Department" (Trust me they suck ) and follow the destinated country's regulation to which accepts these trade regulation, where most of the Asian Region are also members of CITES.
mr.ius is offline   Reply With Quote